Friday, October 25, 2013

The Oxford Union (Billy Joel, John Mayer, Severus Snape)

The Oxford Union is the world's most famous debating society and is famous for bringing fabulous speakers to the debate room. The membership fee is very hefty though, even if you don't take into account how stingy I am! BUT after taking a quick scan of the term-card of events this term alone... I had no choice!



The very first event I attended as a Union Member was with Tom Hooper, the director of the King's Speech and Les Miserables (and I have to throw in The Damned United, Grace's favorite movie). I had never seen the King's Speech, so naturally we watched it the night before to prepare for our big day! The first event I actually tried to go to a debate regarding Confidence in Her Majesty's Government, but the place filled too quickly and I was turned away. So for the big speakers, we decided to get there an hour early.


Tom Hooper

Debate Room

The next event was a Q and A with Billy Joel. This one required getting there 2 hours early! Upon finding no line, we decided to sit on the picnic benches outside the debate building. Suddenly, one person looked as if he was inching towards the door. Apparently that was cue (pun intended) for the masses to start queuing! In no time, the queue  wrapped all the way off the Union grounds and onto the street. As we waited, we could hear Billy practicing inside. So surreal! At one point, the Brit we met in the cue casually said "Oh, look it's Billy Joel." as he walked by, 2 feet from us! After the sun had set, and the clock struck 7, it was time to file in. We got great seats, and then proceeded to wait another hour before the show even started! No pictures allowed (unless you wanted to pay a 50 pound fine and have your membership revoked), but I can tell you, it was amazing! He was sitting literally 10 feet from me and played snippets of We Didn't Start the Fire, Uptown Girl, New York State of Mind, River of Dreams, Laura, Tomorrow is Today, Where's the Orchestra, So It Goes, Summer Highland Falls, Beethoven's 6th, For the Longest Time, and ended with the entirety of Piano Man. He is a great performer and a hilarious guy!

He brought his own piano

His tea! 

The next event I went to was a debate on whether the European Union is a threat to democracy. I had a terrible seat on the top level. I could see nothing, and hear little. It was fascinating to go to though. At the end of the debate, you vote for either the opposition or the proposition by walking through one of the two doors.

Noes and Ayes

The next event (all in the same week, by the way) was an interview with John Mayer at 2pm. Once again, we got there early for the queue (can you tell I fancy word queue?). This time, photos allowed, so I took them in abundance. He was actually very insightful and had lot of interesting things to say about his work methods, his career trajectory, and even his relationship with Steve Jobs.

Only time we got him smiling

Closest thing we got to a performance

How far away I was. That big head to the left is Grace. She got dibs on a better seat because she is obsessed with John Mayer's music, even though she cut in the queue and wasn't waiting as long as I was! (That's a neutral statement, right Grace? - I promised to only say nice things about her because I am stealing her photos)

Not that you need another picture of John Mayer, but this one was priceless. He was referencing his throat surgery in 2011 (the guy likes to talk with his hands!)

[Bare in mind as you read the following, I almost missed all of this because I was thinking about going on a trip with the Caving Society to Wales for the weekend. I chose Friday Lecture Series, Formal Formal, and Champagne and Chocolates instead, and boy and I glad I did!]

After John Mayer, Grace and I headed to the first of the Friday Lecture Series, which are speakers specially chosen by Mansfield's Principal, Helena Kennedy, a Baroness in the House of Lords. We were running 15 minutes late, but were surprised to find the event hadn't started yet and there weren't that many people there. Misha Glenny, a British Journalist was speaking on cyber warefare and security. About 5 minutes after we sat down, Helena Kennedy walked into the room. Grace had already met her, and I hadn't, so I leaned over to Grace and said, "Is that, is that..." She responded very excitedly, "Yes, Severus Snape is sitting next to us." I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about until I looked 3 seats down from me and found Alan Rickman sitting there! After the great lecture, we tried to get a creeper photo on the way out but failed...

Snape to the far right

In the hall, we ran into another Mansfielder who was freaking out because Alan Rickman had asked her to show him the Mansfield library. As we exchanged stories, he walked past us, again literally 2 feet away.

Our faces when we saw Alan Rickman

The next event for the evening was Formal Formal (that is not a typo... it's called Formal Formal.) It sold out in 4 minutes.  (Also, bare in mind that there were so many other equally interesting events going on at the same time in Oxford. For Instance, the president of FIFA was speaking at the Union.) Formal Formal is a black tie event with a 4 course meal. Did I mention you also have to wear your robes? The food was divine: seafood bisque, fried goat cheese, beef wellington, and blueberry cheesecake.

Mansfield at night


Classy in robes

It's beginning to look a lot like Hogwarts...

Did I mention Severus Snape was there?

Or that I took creeper shots of him throughout most of the dinner?

Really started to look like Hogwarts! 

After the fabulous dinner, we headed over to the JCR (Junior Common Room) for Champagne and Chocolates. Alan Rickman joined us for the walk over, but took shelter in the SCR (Senior Common Room), probably due to the very overwhelmed Harry Potter fans. People were discussing stalking the door until he came out (even though the door was cracked and he could probably hear every word!) When he did emerge, he did take a picture with a lucky few. I missed that though... damn champagne and chocolates!


 It was a great time though. Afterwards, a group of us watched the beginning of Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone.  The minute we saw scene with Snape in the dinning hall (filmed at Christ Church, where I have also been) we were satisfied and went to bed.

Such an incredible amazing day and week in general! I have a TON of work to do, but I am looking forward to see what is to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment